U.S. immigration laws have a reputation for being strict, but contrary to popular opinion, there are several options available to foreigners who want to live and work in the United States legally. According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, a large portion of foreign citizens enter the country on temporary work visas.

VIsa close up

If you have questions about temporary work visas, contact the O’Brien Law Group. Rusty O’Brien is a Louisville employment visa attorney with more than 10 years of experience helping immigrants in Louisville.

Call 502-400-7890 to schedule a consultation, and visit http://immigration.usattorneys.com/kentucky for more information about U.S. immigration laws. Read on for a brief overview of temporary work visas:

What Is a Temporary Worker?

According to USCIS, a temporary worker is a person who enters the United States for a fixed period of time and for a specific work-related purpose. There are limitations on the types of jobs available to temporary workers. The purpose of the visit is usually indicated on the nonimmigrant visa.

How to Become a Temporary Worker

If you want to work in the United States on a temporary nonimmigrant visa, U.S. law requires that you obtain the necessary permission and paperwork. According to the Bureau of Consular Affairs, there are several types of temporary work visas available to foreigners who are interested in working in the country.

Most temporary work visas require that your prospective employer or agent files a petition with the USCIS. There are various visas that allow foreigners to work in different fields and professions, and for different periods of time. These include H, L, O, P, Q and R visas.

Once a consular official approves your prospective employer’s application, he or she will receive a Notice of Action. This serves as approval of the petition, and it is one of the most important documents to obtain prior to your arrival in the United States.

You will need to bring the original petition document, or Form I-129, to the Consulate. This is to verify the USCIS’s approval of the petition. It is important to remember that this does not guarantee a temporary working visa; the Consulate can deny the visa if it finds that you are ineligible under U.S. immigration law. As such, it is important to ensure that you have all the necessary paperwork. An immigration lawyer can assist you with the process.

Applying for a Temporary Work Visa

You can apply for the visa after the USCIS approves your Petition for a Nonimmigrant Worker. There are several steps in the application process, which can vary depending on the Consulate or U.S. Embassy where you apply.

You can complete Form DS-160, or the Nonimmigrant Visa Application, online. However, you should consult an immigration attorney to confirm that your application does not contain mistakes.

 If you are looking for an immigration lawyer in Louisville, contact the O’Brien Law Group. Rusty O’Brien the former MidSouth region chapter chair of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AIM). Call 502-400-7890 to schedule a consultation.

Pin It on Pinterest

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message