Many people dream of living and working legally in the United States, but for those born outside of the country, this dream may be difficult to achieve. If you are an immigrant, there are several ways to live and work in the country, but each carries with it stipulations and consequences.



If you have questions about immigration or are facing deportation, a Louisville deportation lawyer may be able to help. An experienced lawyer can evaluate your situation and provide possible solutions for your immigration concerns.

The O’Brien Law Group has more than 10 years of experience helping families in Louisville, and Rusty O’Brien regularly represents clients before the Immigration Service and Board of Immigration Appeals. Call us today at 502-400-7890 to schedule an appointment to discuss your immigration concerns.

One of the most reliable ways to remain in the country is by obtaining a green card. Read on for two avenues that you may be able to use to obtain one:


According to the Department of Homeland Security, if you have relatives who are U.S. citizens, you may not have to wait for a visa before applying for a green card. This is only applicable to immediate relatives.

The Department of Homeland Security only considers parents and spouses of U.S. citizens to be immediate relatives. Children of U.S. citizens who are unmarried and under the age of 21 are also eligible; however, U.S. citizens who are applying for their parents must be over the age of 21.

If you are a qualified relative of an American citizen, the Department of Homeland Security requires that you wait for a visa before applying for permanent residency. The Department of Homeland Security defines qualified relatives as unmarried adult sons and daughters of American citizens, as well as spouses, unmarried children, unmarried sons and daughters of permanent residents and married sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens may also be qualified, but they are the fourth preference on the list.


According to the U.S. Department of State, individuals who intend on becoming immigrants through work or job offers can apply for a green card or an immigrant visa abroad but only under a number of specific circumstances. Certain categories have preference, and they prioritize workers with high skill levels, particularly professors and researchers, as well as those who are highly qualified.

U.S. immigration is a difficult and often overwhelming process, and if you are considering moving to the United States or if you are facing deportation, a Louisville immigration attorney may be able to provide assistance. At the O’Brien Law Group, we have helped both families and individuals resolve complicated immigration concerns, and we are ready to do the same for you.

Rusty O’Brien is a trusted lawyer who is fluent in Spanish, and he can work with you to explore all possible avenues. Call us today at 502-400-7890 to schedule an appointment..

Pin It on Pinterest

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message