If you are already a citizen of the United States, then you may be able to help a relative become a lawful resident and obtain a Green Card. Among other requirements, you will need to sponsor the relative and prove that you are able to support him or her financially.

Louisville Immigration lawyer

There are several steps in this process and plenty of opportunities to make mistakes. As such, you could benefit from the guidance of a deportation attorney.

If you are located in Kentucky and would like to discuss your options with a Louisville immigration lawyer, then contact the O’Brien Law Group. Rusty O’Brien is fluent in Spanish and has more than 10 years of experience helping families and individuals in Louisville. Call us at 502-400-7890 to schedule a consultation.

In the meantime, read on to learn about petitioning for an alien relative:

Filing the Petition

The first step you must take if you wish to petition for an alien relative is to complete the I-130 Form. This will establish that there is a family relationship between you and the relative. It is also possible to file this form together with an application for permanent residence, or the I-485 Form.

Applicable Relatives

According to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services, a U.S. citizen can file a petition for a husband or wife, or children who are either married or unmarried. If you are older than 21, then you may also petition for brothers, sisters and parents. You must provide evidence of these relationships when you are filing the petition.

The Petition Process

Once you file the I-130 form and provide evidence of your relationship, the USCIS will place your application in a line of other petition applications. You must wait until your petition reaches the front of this line, at which point the USCIS will conduct background checks to ensure that your relative meets the requirements. At this stage, your relative may be eligible to immigrate.

If your relative has family that also wishes to immigrate to the United States, then you must indicate this during the application process. In most situations, your relative’s spouse and unmarried children under 21 years old will be able to join him or her in applying for citizenship.

If the person you are petitioning for is an immediate relative, such as a spouse, parent or an unmarried child under 21 years old, then there is no waiting time. For other relatives, the USCIS provides no specific timeframe. The processing time depends on the number of applications in the queue, as well as several other factors. It may take several years for immigration services to approve or deny the application.

Immigration laws are complex, but the O’Brien Law Group can help demystify the process. Louisville deportation attorney Rusty O’Brien will investigate all possible avenues and provide a recommendation to help you reach your goals. To schedule a consultation, call us today at 502-400-7890..

Pin It on Pinterest

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message