If you want to become a permanent U.S. resident, then you probably already know that there are several ways to obtain a green card; however, these processes are legally complex. You will have to meet strict requirements, and a small oversight could delay your application or lead to a denial.

Close-up of Visa

Close-up of Visa

The best way to avoid these issues is to consult an immigration attorney. A green card lawyer can evaluate your case and explain your options for becoming a permanent U.S. resident.

If you are located in Kentucky, contact The O’Brien Law Group. Rusty O’Brien is an immigration attorney in Louisville who will help you gather the necessary documentation to prove your eligibility for a green card. He will then guide you through the application process and help you avoid mistakes. Call 502-400-7890 to schedule a consultation.

What Forms Must Be Filed to Adjust My U.S. Immigration Status?

The forms you or your petitioner must file depend on your immigration category, or which criteria you will satisfy to become a permanent resident. Most immigrants become eligible for permanent residence through a family member or employer; however, there are other paths to adjusting your immigration status. For example, you may be eligible for an adjustment of status if you have obtained refugee or asylum status, or if you have fulfilled other special provisions.

Here is a breakdown of the necessary forms according to immigration category:

Employment-Based Adjustment of Status: In most situations, immigrants who want to adjust their status through an employer must have their employer submit Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker. However, if you are an entrepreneur and you intend to invest significant capital in a U.S. business, then you could file Form I-526, Immigrant Petition by Alien Entrepreneur.

Family-Based Adjustment of Status: If you want to adjust your status through a relative who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident, then he or she must file Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, on your behalf.

Humanitarian Programs: In most cases, no petition is required for humanitarian programs. However, you will have to meet specific requirements to adjust your status through a humanitarian program.

Special Immigrant Classes: Some immigrants can adjust their status by filing Form I-360, Petition for Amerasian, Widow(er), and Special Immigrant. You can file Form I-360, or it can be filed on your behalf.

You will also have to file Form I-485, Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status. Depending on the facts of your case, you may be able to file Form I-485 concurrently – that is, at the same time as your other forms. However, you must make sure a visa is available before filing Form I-485.

What Other Steps Are Required to Adjust My Immigration Status?

Successfully adjusting your immigration status requires extensive documentation to prove your eligibility. You will need to attend an appointment at the Application Support Center, and you may have to visit a USCIS office for an interview.

If you would like to avoid mistakes and delays during the application process, contact The O’Brien Law Group. As your immigration attorney in Louisville, Rusty O’Brien will provide comprehensive legal advice and give your case the individual attention that it deserves. Call 502-400-7890 today to schedule a consultation.

Pin It on Pinterest

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message