The United States has attracted immigrants from a range of professional backgrounds. Researchers, artists, religious workers, scientists and even athletes have immigrated from other countries, according to the

United States Citizenship and Immigration Services.

download (13)


If you or your family member would like to live and work legally in the United States, there are several options that you can consider. You may need an employment visa to work a job legally. There are two broad categories of employment visas: temporary and permanent.

If you have questions about employment visas or the U.S. immigration process, contact the O’Brien Law Group. Rusty O’Brien is a Louisville employment visa attorney and the former MidSouth region chapter chair of the American Immigration Lawyers Association.

Call 502-400-7890 to schedule a consultation. You can also visit to learn more about U.S. immigration laws.

Read on to learn the differences between temporary and permanent employment visas in the United States:

Temporary Working Visa

According to the USCIS, a temporary worker is someone who does not intend to make the United States his or her permanent residence. The individual must have a specific purpose when entering the country to work. The time in the country must be limited. Once the individual is in the United States, immigration laws restrict him or her to the specific activity or reason for which the country issued the visa.

According to the Bureau of Consular Affairs, there are 11 temporary worker categories in the United States. These include H-1B, H-1B1, H-2A, H-2B, H-3, L, O, P-1, P-2, P-3, and Q-1.

Each visa has a specific purpose, and you must abide by your visa’s regulations. Many of these visas require the individual to apply ahead of time – at a local embassy or consulate where the person was born.

Permanent Working Visa

Each year, there are approximately 140,000 employment-based immigrant visas available, according to the USCIS. These include permanent working visas, which are ideal for people who want to make the United States their long-term home.

In order to acquire a permanent working visa, you must immigrate based on a specific skill. Your education, skills and work experience will play important roles in determining whether your application will be successful.

Some employment-based immigration visas require the applicant to have a job offer from a U.S. employer. The employer would act as your sponsor during the petition and employment periods.

Applying for a work visa is a legally complex process. A small oversight can lead to a denial or postpone your immigration to the United States.

If you are interested in acquiring a U.S. work visa, or if you would like to hire an immigrant worker, contact the O’Brien Law Group. Rusty O’Brien is a Louisville immigration lawyer who regularly represents clients before the Immigration Service (CIS), Immigration Courts (EOIR), Board of Immigration Appeals (BIA), and numerous U.S. embassies and consulates abroad. Call 502-400-7890 to schedule a consultation.


Pin It on Pinterest

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message