For many people around the world, obtaining a green card in the United States may seem impossible. A green card indicates permanent residence, and it allows you to live and work legally in the country without fear of prosecution. If you are a refugee or immigrant, there are a number of avenues that you can explore, but the process is often overwhelming and confusing.

Immigrant with the suitcases


At the O’Brien Law Group, we specialize in immigration and deportation matters. If you need help, an experienced Louisville deportation lawyer like Rusty O’Brien can provide advice and guidance. Mr. O’Brien has more than 10 years of experience helping families and individuals in Louisville, and he is fluent in Spanish.


Give us a call today at 502-400-7890 to discuss your Kentucky immigration concerns, and we will schedule an appointment for you to meet with Rusty O’Brien. Read on for more information regarding green cards in America:


Green Cards for Refugees and Asylum Seekers


If the United States accepted you into the country as a refugee, or as the spouse or child of a refugee, the law requires you to apply for a green card within one year after your entry into the country, according to the Department of Homeland Security. If the United States government granted you asylum status or you are a qualifying spouse or child of someone with asylum status, you can apply for a green card one year after the government granted you the status.


According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, it is important to remember that as a refugee, the law requires you to apply for permanent resident status one year after immigration services let you into the country. If the country granted you asylum, the law does not require you to apply for permanent residence, but it may be in your best interest to do so.


Immigrant Petitions


If you are an immigrant in the United States, you will most likely need someone to file an immigrant petition on your behalf, according to the Bureau of Consular Affairs. This petition will establish immigrant classification, and certain categories of immigrants can self-petition.


According to the Department of Homeland Security, most people who are immigrating based on humanitarian programs do not need to complete the petition requirement. Immigration is a complicated process, and it is typically best to consult with an expert regarding certain issues.


An experienced Louisville immigration attorney can evaluate your current status and determine the best way to proceed with your case. There may be multiple avenues to explore, and a good lawyer will have valuable insight on each one.

If you are hoping to live and work legally in the United States, contact the O’Brien Law Group. We regularly represent clients before the Immigration Service, Board of Immigration Appeals and numerous U.S. consulates and embassies abroad. Call us today at 502-400-7890 to schedule an appointment so we can evaluate your case and determine the best way to proceed..

Pin It on Pinterest

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message