On the surface, deportation proceedings are deceptively simple. You might think that when the government decides to deport you, there is no hope of remaining in the United States, but there are many different options available if you wish to stay in the country.


If you are the subject of removal proceedings, this article can help you get a very basic understanding about how the deportation process works and what you can do to stop it.

1. I Received A Notice To Appear (NTA), What Should I Do?

Whenever the U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) decides to initiate the deportation process for an individual, they will notify that person by issuing an NTA. If you have received an NTA, it is important that you contact an attorney right away to determine what course of action is best for you.

At the O’Brien Law Group, we can evaluate your options and help you file any paperwork that is necessary to apply for relief. We can also represent your best interests in the courtroom. To schedule a consultation with an experienced immigration attorney, Call Us At 502-400-7890 Today!

2. I Have A Green Card. Can I Still Be Deported?

Yes. Most people assume that deportation laws only affect undocumented immigrants, but legal, permanent residents can be deported for a variety of reasons, such as the conviction of a serious crime. It is important to note that you can be deported even if you pleaded guilty to a crime in exchange for a reduced sentence. Removal proceedings can also be initiated many years after the crime occurred.

3. Can I Fight The Removal Process?

Yes. There are many ways to work toward remaining in the United States. For instance, if you have lived in the country for under one year and you left your home country because you were persecuted, then you can apply for asylum. To be granted asylum, you must prove that your fears of returning to your home country are warranted.

You could also file for a cancellation of removal if you have established yourself and your family in the United States and you have lived here for longer than 10 years. The judge will take many things into consideration while making their decision, including your family ties, your criminal history, your contribution to the country and your tax history.

4. Can I Appeal A Decision?

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) advises that you can appeal certain decisions that are made by your judge. However, the appeals process is very complicated and time consuming, so you should always consult an attorney before initiating an appeal.

At O’Brien Law Group, we have more than a decade of experience successfully helping people with their deportation and immigration issues. We proudly serve the Louisville, Shelbyville and Lexington areas. To schedule a consultation with one of our attorneys, Call Us At 502-400-7890 Today!.

Pin It on Pinterest

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message