Are you a U.S. citizen with a foreign national fiancé? If you and your soon-to-be spouse are planning to get married within 90 days of your fiancé entering the country, then you may qualify for a fiancé visa.


The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services website outlines the specific requirements for obtaining a fiancé visa. They include:

  • The petitioner must be a U.S. citizen;
  • You will marry your fiancé within 90 days of him or her entering the country;
  • Neither you nor your fiancé are currently married, so any previous marriages have been terminated by divorce, death or annulment; and
  • You met your spouse in person at least once within two years of filing the petition, unless:
    1. Strict and long-established customs of you or your fiancé prevented such a meeting; or
    2. You or your fiancé would have faced extreme hardship if such a meeting took place.

If you would like to apply for a fiancé visa, you will have to file Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé. You can learn more about Form I-129F by visiting the USCIS website.

Before you submit your application, it is highly advisable that you consult an immigration attorney. Your lawyer can evaluate your application, answer your questions and explain the eligibility requirements. Your attorney will also help you avoid mistakes during the petitioning process, which may prevent delays or a denial of your visa application.

If you would like to speak with an immigration lawyer in Louisville, contact The O’Brien Law Group. Attorney Rusty O’Brien has more than 10 years of experience helping families and individuals in Kentucky. Call 502-400-7890 today to schedule a consultation.

What Will Happen after My Fiancé’s Visa Has Been Issued?

Once your fiancé’s visa has been issued, he or she can enter the United States for the marriage ceremony. The marriage ceremony must take place within 90 days of the date when your fiancé enters the country. After you marry your fiancé, he or she can apply for lawful permanent residence and stay in the country while USCIS processes the application.

What Will Happen If I Do Not Marry My Fiancé within 90 Days of Entering the Country?

If you do not marry your fiancé within 90 days of the date when he or she entered the country, then your fiancé should leave before the 90 days expires. If your fiancé does not leave before the 90 days expires, then he or she will have violated U.S. immigration law, which could lead to his or her deportation.

Can My Fiancé’s Children Enter the Country?

You should put the names of your fiancé’s children on Form I-129F. If the children are unmarried and aged 21 or younger, then they may qualify for a K-2 nonimmigrant visa.

If you would like to learn more about U.S. fiancé visas, contact The O’Brien Law Group. Rusty O’Brien is an immigration lawyer in Louisville who will give your case the individual attention that it deserves. Call 502-400-7890 today to schedule a consultation.

Pin It on Pinterest

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message