The application process for securing a U.S. green card isn’t always straightforward, and it involves many working parts. The procedure includes medical exams, travel documents, interviews, priority dates, petitions and many forms. To make matters more complicated, the system is constantly undergoing changes, both large and small. That’s why there are legal professionals who specialize solely in immigration law.



These lawyers keep up to date on all of the most recent developments in order to better serve their clients. At the O’Brien Law Group, we’ve served hopeful immigrants in Louisville for the past 15 years, and we have expertise in every area of the application process.

We are committed to providing consistent, practical legal advice as new situations develop to give our client’s the best shot of approval. Whether you are applying for a green card through marriage, work or investment, we are here to help. To arrange a consultation, just call 502-400-7890.

Becoming a Green-Card Sponsor

It is possible for a same-sex partner to apply for a green card through their relationship, but only if they are legally married. The marriage can generally take place either in the United States or abroad. NY Daily News explains that civil partnerships are not enough to secure a green card, but they can help couples qualify for Fiancé visas in order to marry in the country.

Can the Government Withdraw a Green Card?

Yes. A permanent resident visa is only permanent as long as the government approves. There are a variety of reasons why the government may revoke that status. For instance, The Inquirer reports that if a green-card holder uses fraudulent passport stamps to make it appear that they travel less often than they really do, then the government may take the status away. Green cards are issued to people who plan to use the United States as their primary residence, and if the government determines that a permanent resident is living outside of the country, they may no longer honor their status.

Can Children Who Are Older THAN 21 Receive a Green Card Through Their Parents?

In some cases, a child turns 21 while the parent is waiting for their green card. In this situation, the child is usually disqualified and must reapply. However, if they are over 21 and married, they will lose the ability to apply through their parents. As with most government programs, there are some exceptions to this rule. For instance, some children may still qualify under the Child Status Protection Act, meaning that they will not need to reapply.

If you have questions about your green card application, why not consult an immigration lawyer in Louisville? At the O’Brien Law Group, we have experience handling a variety of immigration issues including deportation, asylum, employment-based immigration, family petitions and I-9 compliance. To speak with an immigration lawyer about your application, call us at 502-400-7890..

Pin It on Pinterest

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message