U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) removed 368,644 illegal immigrants in 2013, according to ICE.gov. Many of these individuals will face a ban on attempting to reenter the country for a specific number of years. This can range from a five-year ban to a permanent ban, depending on the specific circumstances. If the deportation was the result of a criminal offense, the ban tends to be longer.

s_woo_deport_500x279 (1)

According to the Department of Homeland Security, the majority of these deportations involved illegal immigrants from Mexico, Guatemala and Honduras. In 2013, more than 170,000 illegal immigrants returned to their home countries without the need to enforce a removal order.

If you or a family member wants to immigrate to the United States permanently, or if ICE deported you and you want to return, a Louisville deportation lawyer may be able to assist you with the process. The O’Brien Law Group is a trusted law firm based in Louisville, Kentucky. Each year, we help many immigrants pursue new lives in the United States. If you would like to know how we can help your particular case, call us today at 502-400-7890.

If you have been removed from the United States with an official removal order, reentry is a complex process. The order may be reinstated, or you may face charges of committing the federal crime of illegal reentry. Here are three common questions that may be able to shed some light on the situation:

1. Will My Previous Removal Order Be Reinstated?

A previous removal order may not necessarily be reinstated. If U.S. immigration authorities catch you as you try to reenter, you may have to undergo the removal proceedings once again. While there is no way to guarantee an outcome of this process, there is the possibility that during the new hearings, you may be able to apply for some form of immigration relief.

2. Can I Legally Reenter the United States Before the End of My Reentry Ban?

Under certain circumstances, it might still be possible to reenter the United States before the ban on your reentry expires. This is common when immigrants have a new or an independent basis to request a formal visa or green card.

This basis may be a relative’s U.S. citizenship status or a recent job offer that includes visa sponsorship. You will need to file what is commonly known as a “waiver request,” which is essentially a request of government authorities to give you an additional chance to apply for legal status in the country.

3. What Are the Consequences If Immigration Authorities Catch Me Reentering Illegally?

If immigration authorities catch you and charge you with illegally reentering the United States, you are entitled to have a lawyer represent you in a trial. Penalties vary but may include a fine or time in jail.

If you are attempting to gain entry into the United States or prevent deportation, a specialist immigration and deportation lawyer may be able to assist. Contact the O’Brien Law Group today at 502-400-7890, and we will work with you to find a solution to your concerns..

Pin It on Pinterest

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message