The total number of visas issued in the United States each year is astounding. According to the Bureau of Consular Affairs, the U.S. government issued 9.1 million visas in 2013. For comparison, that number has risen from 5.8 million in 2009.


These figures cover a wide variety of visa types and classes. Furthermore, they only represent successful applications, meaning that the number of applicants is much higher.

If you are planning to apply for a visa, especially a long-term one, it’s important to consult an immigration attorney who can optimize your application and give you practical advice no matter what issues develop along the way. At O’Brien Law Group, we have 10 years of experience helping immigrants seek both long- and short-term visas based on employment, family and investment. To arrange a consultation with a Kentucky visa lawyer, call us at 502-400-7890.

1. What Is I-829 Approval for the EB-5 Program?

Most investors have a basic understanding of the first stage of the EB-5 program, but not everyone has a clear picture of the second stage. During the first stage, investors apply for a conditional green card by proving they’ve made a qualifying investment, but that green card only lasts for two years.

After that time elapses, Caixin Online explains that investors must make another application using an I-829 form that seeks a permanent green card. At this time, investors must prove their monetary investment satisfied the conditions of the program by creating and sustaining 10 American jobs.

2. What Jobs Qualify for H-1B Sponsorship?

The U.S. government offers H-1B visas to immigrants in specialty occupations, but most people don’t know exactly what a specialty occupation is. The qualification usually hinges on having at least a bachelor’s degree.

The most common fields in the program are information technology, finance, engineers and accountants. GMA News Online reports that nurses now also qualify for H-1B visas in the United States, whereas until now, they’ve needed to apply for other types.

3. What Are the Requirements for an F-1 Student Visa?

The F-1 program is very popular right now, so this is a common question among foreign students. To qualify, students must be accepted into a school that is accredited by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service. Next, they will need to prove to the government that they have the money to study and live in the United States for at least one year without getting a job. This means either documenting their own resources or having a family member sponsor their living costs.

If you are interested in the EB-5, H-1B or F-1 programs, we can help. At O’Brien Law Group in Kentucky, we have extensive experience in many areas of immigration law, and we regularly represent people seeking asylum, refugee status and relief from deportation. To speak with an immigration attorney about your situation, call us at 502-400-7890..

Pin It on Pinterest

Contact Us

Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)


Your Message